KITCHEN UNIT LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start - I am in Scotland, so Part P does not apply.

I want to fit 5 20w lights under the kithchen wall units. I have 2x 10-60va transformers - but what is the best way to connect them so all the lights are operated by the same switch?

3 lights are in 1 transformer with the other 2 in the other transformer about 4-5m apart.

The lighting circuit is a junction box circuit, so I plan to extend it and add a new junction box.

What's the best approach:
1. run 2 wires from the junction box to each transformer?
2. run 1 wire from junction box to choc box/ connector then a wire to each transformer?

Also planning to use 1.5mm wire throughout (apart from lights to transformer - they come with wire attached)

Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To limit the number of joints 1 is better but both sound OK. Which is easier?

A few pics would also help because the forum telescope is in for repair ;)

OK - option 1 seems easier. So I'm basically wiring up a junction box but instead of cable to next supply I've got 2 cables going to lights (transformers).

So connections should be:
1. Supply from CU L, switch L
2. Supply from CU N, light1 N, light2 N
3. light1 L, light2 L, switch N (ie switched live)
4. all 4 earth wires

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
OK - option 1 seems easier. So I'm basically wiring up a junction box but instead of cable to next supply I've got 2 cables going to lights (transformers).

So connections should be:
1. Supply from CU L, switch L
2. Supply from CU N, light1 N, light2 N
3. light1 L, light2 L, switch N (ie switched live)
4. all 4 earth wires

Does this seem correct?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back