Can i add a permitted development after planning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am living in a 1930s 3 bed semi with garage. I am planning a double storey side extension and a single storey rear extension.

I want the rear extension to 4.5m back, have been told that this is unlikely with Croydon council who are notoriously difficult, and they will allow 4m as the view from the attached neighbour (although we have 3.5m high hedges on our boundary!)

I could get PD but wont be able to go behind the garage. Architect mentioned that if i go with PD for the rear and then planning on the side, i would need to build each independently for 21 days and then could join them together. But does anyone know if I can do the other way around? So do the side extension through planning (blue section in the pic) and then once approved I do a PD for the yellow section? I think I can get the planning for the blue section as my non attached neighbour property is setback from mine.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DIYNOT.JPG
    DIYNOT.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
Great! It has been like pulling teeth at times!

So in a hypothetical situation, if i had planning for the blue section and built it. Then a few years later i wanted to add the yellow bit, would that mean PD is no longer allowed as it connects to building already approved under planning?

But under PD, you’re only allowed a 3m deep extension anyway so quite a way off your preferred depth of 4.5m.

If you secure Planning and build out the side extension, there is no option for you to utilise PD on the rear by connecting to this new extension.

Sponsored Links
The rules are quite specific regarding what is PD, and you can't join extensions together to form what is effectively one bigger extension that would not be PD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back