Can I bridge this DPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not a dramatic post really.

I am smartening up my garage this summer. Although 3 of the walls have thermalite blocks in addition to the brick walls, one section is just single skin (one brick).

This wall has a DPC 150mm off the floor level inside. Moisture rises to this point and stops there, as it should I imagine. However, because the wall is painted, the paint is forever crumbling and falling off.

I intend to:

-clean up the loose paint
-apply a coat of stop-peel (or similar)
- and then use silicone attach a strip of 150mm UPVC skirting.

I figure this will just cover up the ugly bit.

Question is, that UPVC, if it bridges above/below the DPC won't allow moisture to start soaking upwards, ....right?
PXL_20230527_121629574.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Not a dramatic post really.

I am smartening up my garage this summer. Although 3 of the walls have thermalite blocks in addition to the brick walls, one section is just single skin (one brick).

This wall has a DPC 150mm off the floor level inside. Moisture rises to this point and stops there, as it should I imagine. However, because the wall is painted, the paint is forever crumbling and falling off.

I intend to:

-clean up the loose paint
-apply a coat of stop-peel (or similar)
- and then use silicone attach a strip of 150mm UPVC skirting.

I figure this will just cover up the ugly bit.

Question is, that UPVC, if it bridges above/below the DPC won't allow moisture to start soaking upwards, ....right?View attachment 304709
UPVC does not wicked water, no. It would be useless at its job if it did.

Yep, thanks. I believe using sillicone to adhere the skirting has the same advantage.

Cheers

Doe the outside have anything like soil at the lower brick level, that looks like external penetration rather than wicking, If you do have something banked up on outside the wall remove it and your problem will disappear over the summer.

Sponsored Links
Yes, paving, not as high as the DPC but up to lower brick level.

There is your anser...the lower bricks are wet from run off of the paving, I would check the slope of the paving..is it running towards or away from the garage.

Thankyou again for responding.

Slope of paving is perpendicular to the brickwork, so 'along' it rather than 'away from' or 'towards'.

So what I'm planning with the UPVC skirting might have the effect of trapping water in (other than escape, during dry weather, via the same way it came in), is that likely to cause my issues with the brick longer term? I assume not given that DPC are always above a few courses of bricks....

You will always struggle with the sub-DPC masonry, as it's meant to be damp/wet and is not meant to be a fascia item. You would need to physically tank this zone to get any success or leave well alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back