Can I build a floor on top of wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

so the guy i'm working with, who is more experienced than me, suggests we build the new floor ontop of the wall plates, whereas I would have used joist hangers on the wall plate to hang individual joists. I see his way would make the job a lot easier, and straight forward. but I wonder if its ok.

basically we will be mounting a 2x7" wall plate on the wall using m12 resin blots. so the choice is put the 3x7" joists on top, so a 2" overlap on this plate (end of joist flush against the existing wall). or flush the joist to the wall plate and wrap a joist hanger around it and nail the hanger to wall plate and joist.

floor will be for residential use, 4m wide.

thoughts, pros and cons, regluations?

Sponsored Links
His way sounds like the floor would be 7” higher that yours then you have to loose the wall plate in the room below.

That’s how I read it, I see a wall plate as wood ontop of bricks with rafters nailed to it.

Sponsored Links
yes the wall plate will eat into the room below, but its no problem at this time because we still have to stud out all brick walls and add insulation and plasterboard layers. so 2" of timber here isn't a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back