Can I build on my Land at end of Shared Drive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, all

Using Diagram:

We want to build an extension (red box).
Green area is shared drive, right of way. We are ok with this.
Next door have no garage and their fence has been moved to square off the area.

We will demolish garage.
Can we build on the red triangle and do we have to step the extension in from the side of the house or can we simply follow the existing building line?

Thanks If you can help

Sponsored Links
are you planning sleeping accommodation as no sleeping accommodation allowed in permitted development

Sponsored Links
This is an extension to the main home so is PD and you can sleep in it.

I think your thinking of outbuildings not attached to the house that you can not sleep in. without planning.

You need to check if your property has PD rights at all. Also, don't even consider taking the garage down until everything is clear as you may find you aren't allowed to re-build it if you can't do the extension!

This is an extension to the main home so is PD and you can sleep in it.

I think your thinking of outbuildings not attached to the house that you can not sleep in. without planning.
sorry my mistake
must get new glasses i thought it was at the end off the garden as the car spaces looked like the house :D

Hi, all

Using Diagram:

We want to build an extension (red box).
Green area is shared drive, right of way. We are ok with this.
Next door have no garage and their fence has been moved to square off the area.

We will demolish garage.
Can we build on the red triangle and do we have to step the extension in from the side of the house or can we simply follow the existing building line?

Thanks If you can help

Doesn't look problematic as long as the triangular bit is not part of the shared drive, over which the neighbour has a right of way. Otherwise they own the right to use that bit of land - a new owner of the house might rebuild a garage and require the land for turning. They could sell you the right of way.

This advice is worth less than you paid for it, so I would consult a solicitor who knows something about rights of way. A lot will depend on what is written down.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back