Can I bury a soil pipe in an inner cavity wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - here's the problem :

We're building a basic 2 story extension onto the side of our house. The soil pipe from the old bathroom loo now needs to be re-routed to drop down into the "new" garage, but first has to pass through the upstairs wall of the new bedroom (which is directly above the garage). The only option I can see is either to get the soil pipe right in the corner of the room (and thus not be too big a nusiance) and then drop it down, or somwhow get creative and try and hide it in the cavity (as the external cavity wall is now an internal wall of course!) then get it under the new floor level and eventually down into the garage. Is this daft, or is it a possible soultion?
Cheers!
Pete

Sponsored Links
No, you cannot as it will weaken the structure of the building.

Thanks for the reply - are you absolutely certain that this is correct, as the wall I am referring to was orignally an external wall, but is now of course internal & the roof structure has been redesigned, so it won't be taking direct loads like it used to. I was told by a colleague that sometimes the external skin of bricks of the old external wall can even be taken out when an extension is added so as to give more space! - no idea if this is true!
Pete

Sponsored Links
Ask a structural engineer and the building inspector when you submit the plans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back