Can I butt floor tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any reason why I can't butt floor tiles together?

I am about to tile my kitchen floor and have dry laid some tiles and I prefer the look without a grout line ie laying the tiles butted next to each other.

Are there any issues/problems with doing this?
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
chaban48699 said:
Is there any reason why I can't butt floor tiles together?
Is there any reason why you would want to?

I am about to tile my kitchen floor and have dry laid some tiles and I prefer the look without a grout line ie laying the tiles butted next to each other.
Tip: consider how much you'll like the look of the grime that will find itself into the gaps, 'cos it will.

Are there any issues/problems with doing this?
Other than grime, grease, dirt, germs, more germs, more grime, animal hairs, insects, moisture trap, bacterial growth, smell, and more grime, no - you're on a home run. :D

1)The main problem will be expansion/contraction of your tiles, which could chips or even cause tiles to lift.

2) Unless you are very lucky the tiles will start to run out of line with each other, and as you have no grout, you will have no adjustment to realign.

3) Your joints will eventually fill with dirt/spillages, giving you a very fine black grout line..... :eek:

What trazor said about the tiles not lining up perfectly is correct - you only need the tiles to be slightly out and it'll look terrible.
You really need to grout tiles for the reasons already mentioned. If you grout butt laid tiles, the grout won't get deep enough into the gap and will come out easily.
Take our advice and give em a bit of space.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back