Can I carry 9.5mm/plasterboard on my roof rack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need 2 sheets of 9.5mm thick 2.4m x 1.2m to cover a wall which is part glass.
I am going to paint it without skimming so don't want any joins.

Should I be able to get it home in one piece on the roof rack?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Why dont you just get delivery?
For example Wickes, PB is £10.20 per sheet, but delivery is only £5.
For me, the convenience is worth the bit of extra cost, and imagine the fine if you were stopped for carrying an unsafe load! ;)

One of my neighbours thought that was possible, one piece of the sheet got to the house but another piece was left shattered on the A6

The wind got under the front of the sheet which then snapped along the line of the restraining strap.

For £5 delivery, the damage risk is theirs.
You could simply have an accident 5 feet away from the checkout.

as time I bought plaster board two sheets were taped together. Seeing the above story suggests that taping the leading edge would be sensible along with some timber supports.

me,... I'd pay delivery

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice, unfortunately I can't get the thickness I want delivered.

Local diy would deliver a thicker board for £10

B and q want a min order of £100 for bulk items.

Roof rack is I guess.

Did similar back in the 70s but with 2 8 x 4 sheets of wood paneling effect ply, as above and up with 4 sheets of 4 x 4, make sure the leading edge is fixed down

Ask a local builders merchant there not usually that far over on price and most deliver for free especially if you give them decent notice

Ask a local builders merchant there not usually that far over on price and most deliver for free especially if you give them decent notice
Or the local timber merchants. A surprising number of them carry PB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back