painting over plasterboard, what to do around anglebeads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

thought Iit was going to be a real simple job, but the more I start reading about it, the more complex it is becoming!

What we need to do is nice and simple (or should be), dry lining the reveals (sides) of a new patio door we have installed. Right now it is bare (and broken) bricks.

In my head, simple 9.5mm plasterboard floor to ceiling, 20cm width and then straight paint over it. I should then get tapered plasterboard to scrim the joint (it is 220cm high, so we will need two pieces per reveal).

What about the corner to the existing skimmed and painted wall?
If we were to put down a metal anglebead (as I suspect you always do), that would sit on the existing plaster of the existing main wall. Ugly! Hence we will have to hack off the plaster and re-skim, wouldn't we?
On to the little reveal now: that same anglebead, it would sit on the plasterboard, so it effectively means that I cannot simply paint the plasterboard but I will need to skim it first, then paint it?

Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Can you put a photo up?
Also, is the already skimmed/painted wall, plasterboard or solid??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back