Do I need a plasterer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So what was meant to be simply removing tiles from the wall in the bathroom has ended up being back to brick, as the underlying plaster was falling off the wall. My original expectation was that the existing plaster could be smoothed over and painted and that would be it, but it will obviously need more work.

The installer said that it would need plasterboard and skimming, and asked if I had a plasterer lined up. Do I need one? I thought that if it's new plasterboard and a nice new skim coat I could just go ahead and paint.

Clearly I'm more of an idiot than I thought.

Sponsored Links
If it’s dot and dab, then probably can be done by almost anyone, making sure the existing wall is prepped correctly 1st. Make sure that plasterboard isn’t used where water is used frequently, eg a shower.

I'm saying plasterboard in the most generic sense, but yeah the plasterboard walls will be on the wall opposite the shower so should stay fairly dry. I think he's planning to use the moisture resistant stuff whose name I can't remember.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back