Can I connect a light switch to an existing plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a small extension built on the side of the house a few years ago. At the time, we never bothered having any lights installed on the ceiling inside. It is quite dark in that area of the house. I was wondering if it is possible to connect a light switch to a nearby double plug socket so that we can install a couple of inset spot lights in the the ceiling to make it a bit lighter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can.
The best method would be by using a fused connection unit from the socket outlet, down fusing to 3A. Then running the cable for the lighting circuit from there to switch then to lights.

If the cables are buried in the wall less than 50mm, then mechanical protection of the cable or RCD protection of the extend circuit will be required, if not already offered to that circuit elsewhere.

Ok thanks. So its quite straightforward to do? I am just not sure about the wiring set up?

Ok thanks. So its quite straightforward to do? I am just not sure about the wiring set up?

something like this
Brown= live
Blue= neutral
Green/Yellow= earth

The blues at the switch connect together using a connection strip, as this is not required to be terminated to the switch plate.
The brown at switch connect the feed from the fused spur to com and the load side to light at L1.
The diagram shows a switched FCU, but this can be unswitched.

Sponsored Links
So, if I am right PrenticeBoyofDerry, I would get an unswitched 13Amp connection unit and place it close to the double plug socket so that it is out of view. Could I then wire this up to a single dimmer switch in the extension area and connect inset downlighters in the ceiling?

Place the fused connection unit as close to socket as possible, it can be hidden but must be accessible for inspection/testing and maintenance.
Then as diagram the switch can be a dimmer. When choosing the dimmer and lamps(bulbs) you must use dimmable lamps and make sure the load rating of the dimmer is suitable for the load of the lamps.
Also you must route the cables in permitted safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:route
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

If you MUST use downlights then there some practical issues that you'll need to deal with.

The ceiling will be packed full of insulating material. You'll need to clear about 100mm around the site of each downlight so they don't fry themselves. That will, of course greatly reduce the thermal properties of the room, so you'll need to install an extra heater to make up the difference.

Have you though about how you will get wires to the site of each downlight?
Uner the plasterboard there will be joists running, these will stop you running cables. Unless you have access from the floor above (?) you'll need to rip down some ceiling and then get it repaired,patched and skimmed.

Then there are the general issues with downlights. That is they light, well, down.
I thought that you wanted to solve the problem of it being
quite dark in that area of the house

Personally I'd look for a different lighting solution.

We had a small extension built on the side of the house a few years ago. At the time, we never bothered having any lights installed on the ceiling inside. It is quite dark in that area of the house. I was wondering if it is possible to connect a light switch to a nearby double plug socket so that we can install a couple of inset spot lights in the the ceiling to make it a bit lighter?
You might want to read this first:

//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/drafts-through-downlight-installation-any-solution.351435/

Then you might like to start looking for lights which don't need holes in the ceiling and insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back