Can I cover main incomer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am in the process of renovating a shop attached to my house, and installing 50 mm of insulation plus 12.5 mm plasterboard to all internal surfaces of outside walls, the main 3 phase supply cable, going to the meter, is fastened to the wall I want to insulate which means it would be buried about 40mm below the plaster. I intend to fit a 2/3mm steel shield over the top of the cable mounted on wood bearers to ensure anti penetration protection. Would this be acceptable and would I need to to earth the steel plate?
Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
I'd ask the leccy company, for the simple reason that it is not your cable - could cost you a lot of money if there's a fault on it and you've buried it....

I would suggest boxing it in in such a way that you can paint/paper over it to match the rest of the walls but easily remove the cover for access to the cable. But do check with the supplier, if for no other reason than to verify that the insulation won't be an issue.

An electricity company I used to work for enforced the "incomers must not be covered" rule much more forcefully after someone wanting to fix a hanging basket drilled through the render of a small shop.

The flare was quite spectacular and continued until the drill burned away.

There is (almost) no fuse protection on the incoming cable.

People can, and will, drill through any cover you fit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back