can i cut coving with an electric mitre saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i.e. a circular saw for cutting wood? :oops:

Its better at angles than my mitre block.

Sponsored Links
I suppose you could. I never have, I just use an ordinary hand saw. Try it out and let us know. ;)

Roughcaster.

The mitre saw cuts the coving alright. The finish on the coving is good after the cut but...

What a stupid idea! none of the bits matched up as it depends how the coving is sitting at the time of cut.

I went and bought an artex mitre box with its helpful A B C D guide. Still took me a few goes before I cut what I wanted, but eventually it gets easier.

PS, I also think the dust will not do the mitre saw any good at all and mine was only a 210mm blade so not actually large enough to cut it anyway.

Wish someone had told me to just get a mitre box, would have saved me time and mony.

Thanks for the update Yarn. I have a template that I use for internal/external angles. I just mark it on the length of coving, and run the old handsaw through it..... At least you tried the mitre saw, but the mitre box is the bee's knees.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
I have just put up the coving tonight with the help of a friend. I am really pleased with the results from using the mitre box. I only hope that the cove adhesive was ok and that the coving stays up there. Wasnt really sure how stiff to make the mix and I think one or two peices did not bond with the ceiling, but are certainly on the wall. May have had the mix too stiff. Oh well, i got half a bag left if it goes wrong.

Mitre box should be the bees knees for the price I paid for it in B&Q!!

I usually make a "mitre-box to the size of coving I am using and just remember which is "Wall" and which is "Ceiling" you can mark it on the box so you don't get confused. You can also put some "Sheradised"pins into the coving and punch them into the wall and ceiling every 400mm or 600mm fill head holes when painting... I usually find depth of coving when placed against wall and ceiling and cut a piece of wood at that depth, then go to each corner put the wood up and make a pencil mark, put a nail in wall just under mark and run a string thru,then put sheradised pins along the line every 18" all the way round room . This helps to rest coving on when putting long lengths up....After coving is up you can take pins out and punch them thru coving...... easy eh? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back