Coving (Is this the right section?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK dummy is officially out of the pram with this! I need some advice on how to cut internal and external corners. I've used mitre blocks and precision saw, even resorted to a chop saw. But I still havent got the hang of it yet.

I wonder if its because I've been laying the coving flat in each device.

any advice really appreciated

Sponsored Links
mods please close I think I'd get a better response from wood section being angles, sorry

The coving needs to be cut as if it were sitting in its final position. You don't lay the coving flat on the ceiling now do you!:cool: :LOL:

When you use a mitre box (I generally make one to suit the depth of the coving) put your coving in the box as it would be fixed to the wall and ceiling. If may help you if you mark your box "wall" and "ceiling" and picture it in the box as if it is fitted to the ceiling, and then cut your mitres. It may pay you to cut a piece of coving and have a practice of orientating it in the box and try cutting you internal and external angles and trying it up on the ceiling....I usually find the depth of the cove and cut an "off-cut" of wood to that size, and put it in each corner and put a pencil mark on the wall, then put a pin (one inch and half sheradised pin ) in and pull a string line thru on all the marks. Then put aline of "pins" along the line at say three foot spaces, and this will help to rest your coving on when you are offering it up. When I join my coving I mitre the two matching ends. I usually find the lowest point on the ceiling when I am setting my pins out (it should not be too much ) It is easier to fill the gaps in between cove and ceiling instead of altering height of coving.. I know this is long winded but should give you a bit of an in-sight in to one way of fixing coving,I know there are many more.....Good Luck...

Sponsored Links
mods please close I think I'd get a better response from wood section being angles, sorry

Not at all fattony, it might be that there are not many lads on line. It is the plasterers job to put coving up!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back