Can I damp-proof & insulate a single skin wall from outs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The small 2nd bedroom at the back of my flat has damp coming through and is freezing, as was built with a single skin brick wall.

The problem is the room is pretty small, so it wouldn't really be feasible to put a second layer inside. Can the wall be upgraded externally to a double layer or are there other ways to deal with the damp/cold in a single skin?

Sponsored Links
Hi...yes there are ways to do this, the easiest and cheapest i would of thought was to clad the outside of the wall, insulating the wall, then cladding it using upvc or wood clad. but this would more than likely mean that you would have to seek planning permission.

There are other options. but would mean more work therefore more money such as an additional skin of brickwork, but this wouldnt come cheap.

As for the damp, there are available from most diy shops, water proofing products that can be painted on. And as for the insulation there are insulated plaster boards.

Are you sure it is only a single skin of brickwork it just seems very unusual.

When you say single skin I assume that you are talking about a 9" solid wall, in which case the problem you have is due to condensation and nothing to do with damp penetration. Likely that warm moist air is travelling up from the downstairs and when the air reaches the cold wall the air becomes saturated and results in surface condensation, this effect can also cause interstitial condensation.

The easiest solution to your problem would be to line the internal walls with a 'british gypsum thermaline super' board (or similar approved). Ideally you should go for around an 80mm thickness board but if space is a premium there is a 65mm thickness board which includes a plasterboard finish to the face. The board can be stuck to the existing plaster - no need to hack off, you will also need to remove the skirting board prior to fixing the insulated board.
Ideally you will need to take the flooring up and run the insulation board into the floor void cutting/trimming the board to suit.

One other thought, you only need treat the external facing walls, which I assume means only 2 walls in which case you loose less than 75mm (3")of the length and width of the room.

You will need to provide some heating to the room, and introducing the insulation should make the room more affordable to heat!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back