single skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a single skin blockwork shed ,clad the outside and then put insulation backed plasterboard to the inside of the walls,can anyone tell me if this is an ok method to keep the damp out?

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what a serious builder would say, but provided it has a DPC and you add a membrain sheet before the cladding on the external face, then it should be damp free.

What would the roof be, felt / flat or pitched ?

Ask the Council, they are OK about such stuff in my area.

Sounds like an expensive way to do things for a shed.

You could just render the outside using a waterproofer in the mix.

If you used timber frame you just insulate between the timber and plasterboard the inside.

Is the blockwork for security reasons or are you just more comfortable/faster laying blocks than working with wood?

Yes it may be OK.

But bear in mind that timber cladding is not impervious and so a vertical membrane may be required to ensure that penetrating moisture is kept out

Sponsored Links
well i've looked into upvc cladding and it works out pretty reasonable so with a membrane to sit underneath the cladding it should be ok i think.Ive had to demolish my wooden built shed as i was reacting to the timber frame or something in the wood which surrounded me and i was breathing in something that didn't agree with me and am not looking forward to being a part time brickie but ..hey its a challenge :D thanks

You're not that guy that posted a while back are you? The one whose wooden shed made his ears swell up? Man we fell about the place over that one. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back