can i disconnect shower from consumer panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

i am planning on changing a electric shower to a mixer type one,before installation can begin i need to remove the electric shower.I have a memera 2000 ad consumer unit with split load protection.Can i just turn off the unit and remove shower mcb and wiring ? and can i then just replace mcb as i understand cannot leave gap blank,in short if i throw the power switch off on the consumer unit,is the unit safe (no power) for me to remove mcb?

many thanks
wessa1

Sponsored Links
Dangerous place for the non skilled.

If you must, then I'd suggest you leave the mcb in place and simply unterminate the live feed in to it, the neutral and the earth.

Cut the bare cores back, tape them up and then attempt to recover the cable.

Turning off the main switch (not just the RCD) will kill power to the unit but be aware that the incoming terminals to the main switch will still be live as will the tails supplying it.
You really need a two probe voltage tester to confirm isolation.

Why do you wish to remove the shower circuit?
It might be better to retain the circuit for future use - Move the Live core from the top of the MCB Breaker, and put it into the Earth bar for safety - Put a label advising this fact on the consumer unit cover.
When the circuit is reused, one essential earthing test requires the earth and live cores to be briefly connected for a short time at the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Why do you wish to remove the shower circuit?
It might be better to retain the circuit for future use - Move the Live core from the top of the MCB Breaker, and put it into the Earth bar for safety - Put a label advising this fact on the consumer unit cover.
When the circuit is reused, one essential earthing test requires the earth and live cores to be briefly connected for a short time at the consumer unit.

i would never use the circuit again,and was toying with the idea of just disconnecting the shower from the pull switch in the bathroom.and putting pull switch into the cavity of a new pvc cladded ceiling out of the way :)

It could be useful:

for instance, ever needed a couple of 13A sockets up in the loft, to run you train set, or a TV amp?

That old shower feed might be the way forward...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back