Can i DIY skim 4mm?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to remove a part of a stairs which then also left a big chunk of missing plaster which is 4mm deep and around 10cm x 10cm.

I've heard that skim should be around 3mm max, but is there a type of product that I could do 4mm? Or is it possible to use a 2mm and go over twice?

Sorry never plastered before so I don't really know much in this regard, just thought it'd be abit costly to call someone in to do a job as small as this lol

Thank you

Sponsored Links
A small size like that could be built up with a few coats of filler , one hit with pollyfilla though

Sponsored Links
Think you need a box of toupret powder. Mix. Skim. When setting after about an hour bang another fresh mix over.
First skim will be 2 to 3mm then final skim.
When dry sand.
Easier to go over as setting Vs skimming over when first filled attempt is dry.
Re plaster thickness
Multi finish plaster can be applied way deeper than stated on bag. Just starts to stag away and can crack a bit when drying. I've skimmed around 4- 5mm first coat fine with another coat over that then another thin mix over to finish off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back