best method for filling narrow gap in skim coat on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide what the best technique would be to fill in a roughly 3 inch wide, 3 foot long gap in the ceiling skim coat in my kitchen (see photos). The gap is due to the removal of a long double tube fluorescent light fixture (replaced with a pendant/rose fitting as seen in photo). The previous owners of the home appear to have just mounted the tube light to the ceiling plasterboard and then skim coated/painted around the light.

The plasterboard seems totally intact and the surface in the unfinished area is just the normal brown paper lining. The depth of the skim coat seems to be around 3-4mm (roughly)

My question(s) are:

1. Can I fill this gap in with some sort of Polycell-type filler and then sand/repaint over? If so, what would be the best product/application method? I've looked at both the One Fill and the Plaster Repair products but not sure if either of those (or something else would be better)

2. Do I need to put some sort of bonding on the small area of exposed plasterboard under the old light fixture before applying any filler?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
first of all you will have to cut the lip out, the lip is the build up of plaster around the edges if you dont cut this out you will forever see where the old light was, cut maybe a cm or so all the way round, then if your not experienced with multifinish get a bag of easifill and spread it so its about 5 ins spread all the way round then rub down

thanks, Steve. And, if i use the Easi-Fill, do I need to prep the bare plasterboard with any thing (PVA, etc.) before applying or just straight on?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back