Work involved in skimming 6mx4m ceiling?

[/quote]

So basically I've no other option than to put up lining paper ... ?

Ian[/quote]
Sorry but I detest lining paper, it would be my absolute last, desperate straw; it’s so easy to spot & a dead give away of something to hide! Now you’ve got this far, you might as well give it a few coats & see what it looks like!

I resorted to a sander on some of my very early plastering efforts but very quickly realised that it will generally always notice. The bits of sanded plaster absorb the paint quicker which leaves the finish catching the light, a bit like the old carpet tiles effect with the pile laid at 90 degrees! No matter how many times you go over it, it still appears to look the same. The paint will eventually cover it all up but, a bit like Jason, you will need many, many coats!

What’s the score with the pro plasterer; he’s turned a few days work into a couple of weeks of turmoil for you, can’t you get any form of remedial or recompense him?

Sponsored Links
As Richard says,give it a few coats and see what happens. You wont do it any harm, and it will need painting anyway no matter what. Just a pity that a person you put your trust in has let you down so badly. Have a chat with him and see what he says. He might just have the decency to try to make amends, I hope so,you never know.

Roughcaster.

Just as well I've got a 10 litre tub of Dulux Tradematt, I guess!

I was really down after reading last night that sanding affects the surface
this way. Especially after 10 hours of sanding over 4 days. But maybe
I can recover the situation with enough coats of paint.

I plan to thin down the new first coat (3-4:1, as it says on the tin).

For subsequent coats, should I give the surface a light hand sanding to
remove nibs etc? The paint says to thin it by 5:1 after the initial coat.
Would this still apply in my situation, or is there any benefit of putting an
unthinned coat on?

I really need to get this room finished for Christmas as I am having the
family round for xmas dinner. If I have to get a decorator in to put
up lining paper then that really going to be pushing it!

Thanks,
Ian

Although I prefer Dulux, I’ve only ever used the standard wipe clean stuff; not used Trade Matt before so can’t comment on thinning subsequent coats. You shouldn’t need to sand or de-nib between coats if you keep your brush/roller clean & keep any dust in the room to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
Just to make my week even worse ... the sander has packed up :(

This was brand new on monday ... a Mac Allister 350w 1/2 sheet orbital
sander from B&Q.

Ian

It was never designed for that type of work. It is for light duty use on non abrasive surfaces. The plaster dust has probably wrecked it.

The good news is the B+Q returns policy - you should get a straight swap for a new one if you have kept your receipt, perhaps just clean it up a little bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back