Can I enlarge existing PD extension to max PD?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My house has an existing side extension done under permitted development by a previous owner.

They did not extend along full width of side house so I want to enlarge still using PD to full width of side. See attached diagram.

Can’t see any reference in regs to not being allowed to increase an existing PD still using PD.

Anyone got experience of this issue please?

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• 05979477-6A1D-4498-BB82-BC2B29FC566B.jpeg
    05979477-6A1D-4498-BB82-BC2B29FC566B.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
Should be ok, unless there's something underground too difficult to move or bridge over.
Sometimes you find main sewage chambers in private gardens.
They go 10/15 foot deep and are wide.
Have a dig.

Sponsored Links
On the face of it if the combined existing extension and new extension are still within Permitted Development you should be good to go. But beware, the devil is in the detail.

With reference to the Prior Approval scheme allowing larger extensions, I thought you could only do this where works were not commenced. Technically, I think the existing extension counts as 'commencement', but I wonder if the LPA would see it that way. Does anyone have practical experience of this? Perhaps an LDC could put the matter to rest?

The existing PD extension may be treated as part of the new PD works ie it's as if a new PD extension is being built across the full width, and if so the whole of needs to comply with current criteria.

With reference to the Prior Approval scheme allowing larger extensions, I thought you could only do this where works were not commenced. Technically, I think the existing extension counts as 'commencement', but I wonder if the LPA would see it that way. Does anyone have practical experience of this? Perhaps an LDC could put the matter to rest?

No one mentioned the prior approval scheme and this is a SIDE extension. Do try to keep up. :D

Thanks for the all the input everyone. My plan is to go for an LDC first and see what they say, just trying to work out how to configure the roof which I may do a separate post on.

I will post the outcome of this issue on this thread when I know the final answer from the LPA in however many weeks that takes.

Thanks all.

UPDATE from OP: (for any future readers benefit)

Although I have yet to complete the LDC to ensure my plans are PD, I have found that the 2015 act that covers PD was amended in 2017 to include the following which I believe states 'adding to a PD side extensions to make it a bigger (but still PD extension) is allowed'.

This was added to Schedule 2, Part 1:

'A.1
Development is not permitted by Class A if—

(ja) any total enlargement (being the enlarged part together with any existing enlargement of the original dwellinghouse to which it will be joined) exceeds or would exceed the limits set out in sub-paragraphs (e) to (j)'

So just so long as my total of old PD side extension and new PD side extension still remain within the total side extension PD constraints it is PD.

Full detail of this is here - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back