Extending an extension. PD or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and my OH will be completing on a property next week that has been extended back in 1995 by means of PP.

The extension is around 5.5m deep but only for around half the width with the other half being only around 3m deep.

Is it allowed under PD to extend an extension to fill in the bit thats only 3m deep to make it a square room or does the fact it needed PP in the past along with it being an extension of an already existing extension mean I would need PP regardless of it being within the basic PD rules?

Sponsored Links
The whole combined extension, new and old, would be considered under pd rules. It may fit within the prior notification scheme in PD. Plans required though.

Sponsored Links
I don't have any actual plans yet as haven't got to that stage with it. Still in the planning what to do with the space stage.

This is the floorpan from the ground floor.

Untitled by chunkytfg, on Flickr

Rooms listed as Bedroom and family room along with the corridor between existing kitchen and bedroom, will be knocked through to make one big room which will become the new kitchen.

The hope is to fill in the corner where the 'conservatory' is and create a large square room roughly 18'x20' to fit the kitchen/dining room.

The conservatory as it stands at the minute is basically the previous owners(whose a builder) bodge up of some window units and a set of french doors he managed to source mounted to some wooden stud walls with a perspex/plastic roof so has to come down and be dealt with regardless.

Could you outline the original house as it was first built. It looks like you might fall foul of the side extension traps from a PD point of view.

Untitled by chunkytfg, on Flickr

Okay my understanding is the purple shading is original.

Extension 1 was the kitchen. I think it was originally outhouse that was demolished and rebuilt wrapping round the corner slightly moving the kitchen from whats labelled as the dining hall in the plans.

Extension 2 was everything else(not including the porch) which was built to house ageing mum and dad as a kind of granny annexe type deal.

The house faces the road as shown in by my arrow pointing to the road. it's not turned sideways with an entrance on the side of the house. This means the extension 2 is on the back of the house with the conservatory space we wish to fill being against the neighbours fence line

We'd probably need to see the planning conditions attached to implemented permissions

:eek: That's a hell of a floor layout. :!: Have you considered redesigning the whole thing :?:

Exactly what I was thinking. It's as if the original architect started with the staircase then designed from there. Bizarre.
:eek: That's a hell of a floor layout. :!: Have you considered redesigning the whole thing :?:

Tell me about it. It’s even more bizarre walking around it in reality!

Hard to ignore 1600ft2 of house for the same price as houses that are normally barely 1000 though!

Okay my understanding is the purple shading is original.
Unfortunately under PD the enlarged part of the house would form a side extension greater than 50% width, so pd is a non starter. This is caused by what looks like the original attached garage stuck out back.

Hard to ignore 1600ft2 of house for the same price as houses that are normally barely 1000 though!
Yes, fair point, lends itself to a redesign of layout though, but that costs money of course.
p.s. If an extension to an extension to an extension is allowed as permitted development I'm a Chinaman :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back