Advice on best way to combine planning permission and PD (prior approval)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there, after a couple of pre-apps and a refusal my local council have agreed in principle to my two storey side extension providing i step in by 1m at first floor level. This will replace an existing single storey side extension built with PP (keeping the same width at ground floor). This proposal is blue on the attached plan. I am getting ready to apply for PP for this but am confident we will now get it.

I also already have prior approval consent (PD) to build a rear single storey extension to replace my existing conservatory (red on the plan). The council agreed to 6m but I probably only need 4.5 or 5m.

Ideally I also want to ‘infill’ the corner behind the kitchen (green on plan) making it essentially a side return/wraparound and wondered what the best way to achieve this is?

My planner thinks If i apply for evertything at once the council will reject it as being too large/overdevelopment and i tend to agree based on my past experiences with them. Also maybe need to think about the 45 degree tule if go for PP.

My thinking is i have few options
1) Get PP for blue bit, build it and build the rear bit under PD and then apply for pp for the infill bit (maybe during the 3nd build)
2) Forget the green bit
3) Could i potentially include the green bit in the initial planning application for the two storey side extension and then if i got that also do the PD bit? I assume not as it will then extend beyond the side of the ‘original’ house?

What do the experts think?

Any other options im missing?

Cheers Jay

Attachments

• PD:PP question.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Do what you can under PD. Apply for the rest.

Don't assume you'll have PD rights remaining after any planning approval.

Thanks Woody,

If they did remove PD rights after we make the pp application I guess these only kick in once you have built it out?

Could we also not include the rear part on the red lines on the pp app?

Has anyone else got any creative ideas?

Sponsored Links
If they did remove PD rights after we make the pp application I guess these only kick in once you have built it out?
In this context, any condition would kick in as soon as you did any PD work (meaning you can't do the approved work) or the approved work (meaning all future work needs an application).

You need to be mindful of the planner's attitude to local development (strict or relaxed) and their planning policy guidelines.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back