Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
Im new to this website. I hope someone can help me on this stressful situation...

I bought a bungalow and applied PP for 2 side ext, rear ext, 3 w dormers . this application refused because size of dormers .

Then i have been told to apply PP for side extensions and rear extension + raising roof height by 1m ( which BTW has been approved) and do dormers under PD .

I have now built all I applied under PP + dormers under PD .

Now just wondering what should i get for dormers that i built without anything.
1)should I apply for lawful development certificate
2) or I should apply for retrospective PP OR PD
3) i leave it as it is for next 4 years

Your help much appreciated in advance

Sponsored Links
You will not be able to deal with the dormers via PD and therefore an LDC application as Planning would also consider the raising of the roof under the PD criteria. The total additional volume may exceed the 40cu.m or 50cu.m allowance or failing that, you cannot alter the front elevation roof form under PD.

Your options would therefore be to apply for retrospective PP and if refused again, look to appeal it. If the works have been built out, Planning may take a slightly different view on it as they can now see it in context. Or you can chance the wait 4 years and claim lawful use that way. The fact the works are already on their radar, this latter approach may not be the best and pose more risk.

Thank you for your reply
The dormers are side dormers not front , we have built it under PD regs , i have to say raised roof and dormers are under 50m3.
I already have planning approval for raising roof .

Ok so you think you’ll be under the cu.m thresholds, which is a good thing.

Even with the dormers located on side roof planes, in going down the LDC route, Planning would also take into account the main roof enlargement. Assuming the enlargement can be seen from a front/principal elevation, then it would not be classed as PD. It’s mainly due to the fact the dormers physically attach to the enlarged roof space and so the whole lot would then be considered under the PD guidelines, irrespective if you’ve already sought PP.

Sponsored Links
It’s mainly due to the fact the dormers physically attach to the enlarged roof space and so the whole lot would then be considered under the PD guidelines, irrespective if you’ve already sought PP.
What a crazy system if Permitted Development Rights take precedence over something that has already been refused planning permission :!:

I see, thank you . So my best bet is to apply for LDC if im getting it correctly

I see, thank you . So my best bet is to apply for LDC if im getting it correctly

If you did, the LDC will be refused as they’d also take into account the enlarged roof space the dormers attach to, even if they have already sought PP.

As mentioned...

“Your options would therefore be to apply for retrospective PP and if refused again, look to appeal it. If the works have been built out, Planning may take a slightly different view on it as they can now see it in context. Or you can chance the wait 4 years and claim lawful use that way. The fact the works are already on their radar, this latter approach may not be the best and pose more risk.”

You are right
But I have to say dormers attached to original roof than enlarged roof space . The addition raising of ridge was allowed to so dormer can shaped . But again dormers is not attached raised roof ridge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back