Can I fit 2 thermostats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping maybe it would be OK to fit 2 thermostats, (one upstairs and one downstairs), to the same terminals in the control box? I get it that if one is in the on state, the other will not turn off the heating. It's just for ease of use really. Is this feasible? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the house isn't zoned is there any need for this? Wouldn't it be easier to set the downstairs stat to a different temperature when you go to bed?

Sponsored Links
I was going to add I didn't want to mess around fitting valves, and fiddling with radiators settings, when they'll only get messed with, but basically wanted to know if there was any electrical reason, why I couldn't do it.

Still totally pointless.

So you have the ability to turn it on from either up or downstairs.

But you have to turn both off to shut the heating down. Hardly convenient.

Also not going to be accurate from a temperature sensing point of view, which is the whole reason for having a thermostat in the first place.

probably your easiest solution would be to get an RF stat which is portable you put the receiver near the boiler or wiring centre and you can use the transmitter like a remote control

...wanted to know if there was any electrical reason, why I couldn't do it.
There is no electrical reason why you couldn't. Simply wire them in parallel. Either can control the heating, with the limitation that you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back