Can i fit a grundfos 40-80 415v onto a grundfos 40-80 240v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a grundfos 40-80 f250 pump which is a 240v pump. I have the chance to buy the same pump apart from the fact its a 415v 3 phase pump. Would this pump still work, they are both grundfos 40-80 pumps but obviously the old pump has a 240v 3 wire connected to it. Any advice on what to do would be helpful, thanks.

Sponsored Links
If I took the replacement head off the new grundfos 40-80 3 phase pump and put it onto the old pump body could I then incorporate the old electric onto the new pump head so it wasn't 3 phase.

Best plan is to buy a replacement head.

Sponsored Links
No, the head will still be 3phase.

Unless you have a 3phase supply and accessible forget it.

It is NOT possible to run a 415 Vac pump using a 230Vac supply

Some makers such as BIRAL only supply 3Ph pumps you have to fit electrical links and a Capacitor to convert to 1Ph

HOWEVER the Grundfoss motor design does not make this type of conversion possible so you will have to obtain a repalcement

why not buy a Head & Control box assembly only, it will be slightly cheaper than a complete pump ;)

It will be fine as long as you have a three phase supply available ???

AND as long as you have the phase rotation connected to give the correct pump turning direction.

Tony

Ok so 3 phase is out of the question. That being the case would a grundfos 40-50 be powerful enough rather than the 40-80 version. The system has about 8 column radiators to heat up but no hot water as that is done via a multipoint.

Also does anyone know where you can buy grundfos commercial pumps at a reasonable price.

What boiler make and model do you have?

Why do you need anything larger than a standard 15-60 pump?

Tony

Cant remember the name of the boiler but I know its 120,000 btus. Would a 15-60 be good enough to pum the water round. All the radiators are on ground floor level

Generally yes, if its a condensing boiler but it depends on the internal resistance of the boiler.

But there is a pump between the 15-60 and your 50-80.

Tony

The boiler isn't a condensing boiler as its about 15 years old. One last question would a 15-60 pump head be interchangeable with a 40-80 head. I hope so as the body of the 40-80 is completely different to the 15-60 body, that is the thread is a completely different design.

why did they fit a 40/80 in the first place, at £400 plus quid more than a domestic pump, there would be a good reason, unless they had one kicking around.

I'm not sure why they fitted a 40-80 pump. The pipework is about 1inch or 1inch and a quarter either side of the pump.

So you have steel pipework, just how big is the building and a history.

How large are the 8 rads and what size pipes feed them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back