Can I get a BT 'Junction Box' Moved?

L

leeweedon

Happy Sunday Afternoon everyone!

I'm after a little advice regarding an inconveniently placed BT Junction box. (I think it's a junction box)

I have emailed the local council, and completed a form on the BT Openzone website for an equipment relocation.

To summarise, the box, unlike all the others on our street in on the house side of the pavement rather than the road side. This means our drive is partially blocked buy this.

I'd like the box moving to the other side to make it the same as all the other houses on the street. (There are around 15 as I live on a very long road!)

I'm just wondering what the chances of this happening are? Will I have to pay for it? Has anyone every tried failed/succeeded in doing something similar ?

Have attached a couple of photo's, please excuse the tip, it seems some local paperboy didn't fancy delivering his flyers yesterday!

Many thanks in advance - Lee

Sponsored Links
I would be very careful with that! Someone reversing a van might hit it by accident, some unknown builder that called round touting for work...

Happy Sunday Afternoon everyone!

I'm after a little advice regarding an inconveniently placed BT Junction box. (I think it's a junction box)

I have emailed the local council, and completed a form on the BT Openzone website for an equipment relocation.

To summarise, the box, unlike all the others on our street in on the house side of the pavement rather than the road side. This means our drive is partially blocked buy this.

I'd like the box moving to the other side to make it the same as all the other houses on the street. (There are around 15 as I live on a very long road!)

I'm just wondering what the chances of this happening are? Will I have to pay for it? Has anyone every tried failed/succeeded in doing something similar ?

Have attached a couple of photo's, please excuse the tip, it seems some local paperboy didn't fancy delivering his flyers yesterday!

Many thanks in advance - Lee

Lee, you will find that this box is owned not by BT but the cable company.. it is on a public footpath .. I am not sure if they would move it but if they would you would probably pick up the tab..best of luck

but it isn't blocking your drive, do both vehicles belong to the same household?
the black one is parked on the drive (which is not obstructed) the silver one is parked on the adjacent garden which although is obviously being used as a parking space and looks restricted by the bt box doesn't make it a drive because you have decided to use it as one
I think you will have a hard time getting them to move it at their expense on the basis that it is blocking your "drive"
Good luck though

Matt

Sponsored Links
I guess i'm just going to have to ask the question and see what happens.

Not being a BT customer myself and am not dependant upon there services I do hope that something does reverse in to the box....

You are correct, my house front is used for 2 sometimes 3 cars, originally, years ago, before the BT junction box was installed it was converted to be car spaces... I've also got the opinion of it's my front of house if I should be able to drive on to it any how I like. I have previously PAID the council to have more additional dropped kerb so it's easier.

It just annoys me that I'm the only house that has this on the house side of the pavement. Everyone else has clear garden fronts.

Let's see what happens and I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for your comments so far.
Lee

I guess i'm just going to have to ask the question and see what happens.

Not being a BT customer myself and am not dependant upon there services I do hope that something does reverse in to the box....

You are correct, my house front is used for 2 sometimes 3 cars, originally, years ago, before the BT junction box was installed it was converted to be car spaces... I've also got the opinion of it's my front of house if I should be able to drive on to it any how I like. I have previously PAID the council to have more additional dropped kerb so it's easier.

It just annoys me that I'm the only house that has this on the house side of the pavement. Everyone else has clear garden fronts.

Let's see what happens and I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for your comments so far.
Lee

Again...its no a BT box ..it belongs to the cable company for your area...if a lorry does reverse into it you will find it will be replaced like for like

It can belong only to Virgin Media or BT. The fact I've seen BT engineers working in it may mean that are the sole owners/users or the box is shared with Virgin Media.

I've got my CCTV on it so if anyone does come out I'll be able to see who it is.

I'll contact Virgin just in case to check to see if they know anything about the box.

Thanks

Lee

I've got my CCTV on it so if anyone does come out I'll be able to see who it is.

If that camera's working when someone drives over the box, that someone could end up getting billed (or even prosecuted for criminal damage).

Woudn't it be annoying if the CCTV recorder was unplugged the day that happened?

It would probably be cheaper to move your house rather than that box.

I was going to suggest, that the house would be ever so slightly devalued by the awkward location of the box, compared to an equivalent house with the box.

Shame it just borders your land, rather than being on it - a) you'd get an easement and b) you could cancel the 'contract' (it would typically run for a long time though) and they'd be forced to relocate it. Some farmers have done this with mobile phone masts, when a couple of the networks merged and sent out new contracts offering half the money of before. Normally they back down but one farmer dug his heels in and made them remove the mast and reinstate as ag land.

I'd say its possible to relocate, but it would be at your cost - but this would reflect in the slight increase in value of the house, should you be looking to sell imminently. I imagine it would be somewhat disruptive to you and your neighbours internet and telly connections though!

It looks like a Virgin box, and the footway lids say CATV on them instead of GPO/British Telecom/BT.

If it gets 'damaged' they will just reinstate in its existing location btw, and they do tend to look for the culprit, as there are usually about 600 lines going through them some of them business lines that have to be compensated for loss of service.

The cost of moving a BT one is around £30k so that might give you some idea.

Sponsored Links
Back