Can I get a COMBI with a 15mm gas connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have an ICOS M3080 24kw system boiler on its last legs. The Heat exchanger has started leaking and the boiler is now occasionally failing to fire up. As the heat exchanger would be costly to repair, and as the boiler is around 10 years old, it wouldn't make economical sense to get it repaired as I'm sure you will agree.

However, I am now in to minds whether I should move to a combi or stick with a gravity system. The house has 2 bedrooms upstairs, 2 reception rooms, bathroom + kitchen. In total we have 6 single panel radiators. We use a washing machine & gas cooker. The bathroom has a shower, and a crappy pump on the wall, so going combi would give us essentially better pressure upstairs, as well as save some space from the airing cupboard.

The question I have is would I need to have the 15mm gas pipe connection upgraded to a 22mm? If 15mm, are there any particular manufacturers that still do this? Would a 24KW output still be the one to go for?

Also how common is it for a heat exchanger to die before 10 years? I know people who have had there boiler's for well over 15 - 20 years.

Thanks,
Sparky

[/img]

Sponsored Links
A 24kw boiler within a metre of gas meter could be piped in 15mm , then again a 24 kw boiler 40 metres from gas meter may require 28/35mm (can't be arzed to calculate).

+1.

Your installer should be able to advise on the feasibility of the gas upgrade.

24kW gives a reasonable shower, but will take 15 minutes to run a bath.

Heating capacity is irrelevant.

Why can't people use the search box?

Thanks guys. At least 12 meters from the meter to the kitchen.

I guess I'm a bit panicky as its going to completely die soon, so didn;t think to use the search!

Reasonable... meaning semi-hot? Sounds like I should go for the 28kw just for shower use.

Cheers,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
Reasonable meaning flow.

24kW = 9 litres per minute

28kW = 12 litres per minute

and so on (give or take a litre here and there).

Your gas pressure at the current boiler needs measuring now whilst it is still able to fire on full rate.

If the pressure is OK then you can have a 24kW combi with no worries.

If the pressure is too low then you will need a gas pipe upgrade regardless so might as well pay a little extra for a more powerful boiler.

Water flow rate also needs verification…

There are other options apart from Combi's, inc Unvented Cyl (water, again, permitting), Thermal store?

Do not forget, lose the combi & you lose both heating & hot-water.

DH

Its a conventional boiler setup F&E, tank, cylinder + pump.

Included some more side shots.

To be honest the cylinder is very old (pure copper) check out the image - it has no immersion heater so if the combi failed, it's no different to the situation at present. It'll also add further costs, but point well made.

:idea: That said to buy me some time for when it does pack up, and while I arrange engineer quotes etc. I could temporarily install an immersion heater with a thermostat? What length would this need to be? It appears it'll have to protrude from the side & not the top - I could also do this myself ;)

How busy are you guys at the moment (hopefully busy) so I can get a guide to scheduling quotes/installation etc.

I'm doing some advance research and looking at the 'which boiler' saga will take the advice of the engineer, but found this...

I ALWAYS recommend my customers with the BEST boilers.

Potterton Gold 24 /28
Potterton Titanium 24 /28
Vaillant ecotec pro 24 /28
Vaillant ecotec plus 824 / 831

DO NOT make the mistake of going with cheap and unreliable boilers by saving a couple hundreds. Glow worm, ideal, ferrolli, biasi, heatline, vokera are all CHEAP and UNRELIABLE BOILERS which are prone to problems. Read the reviews on the net.

:LOL: You have managed to miss the pipe work we need to see....

We need to see your very first posted picture rotated round 90 degrees to see all the pipes and the pump.

A decent combi for a single bathroom should be no more or less hassle than any other boiler, although the lack of immersion backup is not to be ignored.

If you are a showering household rather than a bath one....... :D

DO NOT make the mistake of going with cheap and unreliable boilers by saving a couple hundreds. Glow worm, ideal, ferrolli, biasi, heatline, vokera are all CHEAP and UNRELIABLE BOILERS which are prone to problems. Read the reviews on the net.

Dont always believe what you read on the net.... like the above for example...

Cheap boilers attract cheap installers, who dont fit them properly. Thats the only "prone problem"...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back