Would it be best to change from 15mm to 10mm pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi

I have sent this as a new post although I have asked similar questions on the same subject.

After exposing Hep2o pipework in studwork I find that the hot and cold are both in 22mm.

This chalet bungalow originally had a regular heating system as the old water tank is still
in the loft, but the boiler is now a combi.

From help received here it turns out that a combi boiler should only have 15mm pipework
because of the pressure etc.

So it seems that when the combi was fitted, the 22mm was not changed for 15mm.

For 8 years in the en-suite you have to wait ages for the hot water to reach the basin.

In winter this can be around 5 minutes if the central heating is not turned on - if it is turned on,
then hot water is delivered in around 1 minute.

The heat exchanger and other bits that might have caused this problem have been replaced
by British Gas, but that didn't help.

Now I can see the pipework, the run to the en-suite is around 8 metres in 22mm - then
changes to 15mm for 2 metres.

MY QUESTION

Although I should change this pipe run to 15mm - would I be better off using "10mm" for the
complete run, then just before the basin, change to 15mm?

Would it be like squeezing the end of a garden hose to produce more pressure?

We must have wasted so much LPG over the years, because the boiler fires when the basin tap
is turned on, but hot water takes so long to reach the tap.

Many thanks.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
There must be a problem with your unspecified boiler!

But replacing the 22 by 15mm should reduce the 1 minute to about 20 seconds ( and save water ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back