can i get away with this.

RING FINAL CIRCUIT ARRANGEMENTS, REGULATION 433.1.5

The load current in any part of the circuit should be unlikely to exceed for long periods the current-carrying capacity of the cable (regulation 433.1.5 refers). This can generally be acheived by:

(i) not relevant
(ii) not relevant
(iii) connecting cookers, ovens and hobs with a rated power exceeding 2kW on their own dedicated radial circuit
(iv) not relevant

Sponsored Links
so with the new 17th regulations,no cooker can be plugged in.

Sponsored Links
Playing devil's advocate to RF Lighting (dangerous)

What is a long period . . . . Cookers are not drawing power all the time they are switched on, the thermostat switches the elements in and out to maintain temperature.

What is the current carrying capacity of the cable . . . IIRC 2.5 T&E (usually used for a ring) can be over 20A.

What do the manufacturer's instructions say?
Do they say you are to connect it via a 13A plug?

It doesnt matter a bag of dollop what you think about what the load might be. Diversity or no diversity.
You cannot connect it into the ring final, without a fused connection (max 13A) period.

We've not been told, yet, what the manufacturers instructions are. All the 3.4KW ovens I've seen state a separate circuit is required. If you connect it direct to the ring then you will invalidate the warranty on the oven and you will be installing it illegally.

Please, you've asked for advice from people who do do this sort of thing for a living.
You've got the advice - I'm sorry it doesn't meet with your hopes to cut a corner. That's a very dangerous corner.

sorry taylor,but i hav'nt disputed any of the advice,my last question was about jaymack stating that under the 17th, 2kw would be the maximum,which i assume would exclude all ovens being plugged in.
i appreciate all the advice put forward.

I think the answer to this thread is straight-forward now after reading all this (And my electrician was mad).

NO, you cannot plug your cooker on the ring circuit because the regulations forbids you from adding any appliance over 2kW (such as cooker, hobs) on the circuit.

The only solution is a new radial circuit (6mm cable): Connect the cooker to a 45A cooker control unit itself connected to the consumer unit using a 45A MCB.

Is everyone OK with that?

Does not need to be that big.
Radial in 2.5 T&E
16A or 20A CPD
20A Double pole isolation switch

In any event.....
The only solution is a new radial circuit (6mm cable): Connect the cooker to a 45A cooker control unit itself connected to the consumer unit using a 45A MCB.
.....is wrong. For 6mm cable you'd use a 32A CPD or 40A at the most (dependant on cable routing.
Dont forget that the fuse/MCB is there to protect the cable.
The CCU is rated at 45A 'cos thats the max the contacts are rated at.

Yes, you're right. A 32A MCB is required for 6mm cable.

I still think you should go with the largest option which will allow you to connect larger cookers up to 7.2kW in the future or add another appliance such as a microwave on the same circuit.

sorry taylor,but i hav'nt disputed any of the advice,my last question was about jaymack stating that under the 17th, 2kw would be the maximum,which i assume would exclude all ovens being plugged in.

It doesn't stop ovens being plugged in, it just prevents them being connected to a ring final circuit.

You can still plug an oven into a dedicated radial, provided it's rating does not exceed the rating of the plug / socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back