Can I get my immersion heater to come on during the day?

Take my bill as an example:

May - July 2009 (When the property I had was on E7 with storage heaters)

Daytime units: 576
Nighttime units: 577

That's a pretty perfect 50% day vs night units, and thats in the spring quarter.

In the previous quarter (Winter):

Daytime units: 800 (25%)
Nighttime units: 2484 (75%)

So with the storage heaters, I saved a lot of money compared to if I had convectors. I also do the clothes washing and drying at night usually, and run the dish washer. And of course the water heating.

Also bear in mind I am down south, and we don't get the severe cold here, so up north the proportion of E7 units would be likely higher.

Sponsored Links
daytime units usually cost more than twice (not "almost twice") the night rate, such that the break-even-point is usually between 30% and 40% night-time usage

You need to be comparing with the rate on the "single" tariff, not just between the day and night rates.

daytime units usually cost more than twice (not "almost twice") the night rate, such that the break-even-point is usually between 30% and 40% night-time usage
You need to be comparing with the rate on the "single" tariff, not just between the day and night rates.
I agree that's what is of interest, but I was responding to the quoted U-switch comment;
Economy 7 plans charge almost twice the standard night rate for any electricity used in the day
With my current E7 tariff I pay 7.172p (inc VAT) per night unit and 17.021p per day unit - more than 'twice' in terms of the U-switch statement. The corresponding 'single' tariff cost would be about 13.41p per unit.

Applying those rates to your two 2009 quarter's figures that you've just quoted, at my current rates I would pay about £453.74 (plus standing charge) for those two quarters with my E7, or around £595.00 if I were on a 'single' tariff.

Kind Regards, John

With my current E7 tariff I pay 7.172p (inc VAT) per night unit and 17.021p per day unit - more than 'twice' in terms of the U-switch statement. The corresponding 'single' tariff cost would be about 13.41p per unit.

If N is the fraction of energy used at night, then the break-even with those numbers is when

7.172 N + 17.021 (1-N) = 13.41

I make that 36.7%.

Sponsored Links
If N is the fraction of energy used at night, then the break-even with those numbers is when
7.172 N + 17.021 (1-N) = 13.41 ... I make that 36.7%.
Indeed so. When I last did the calculation (albeit quite a long time ago), taking into account the substantially different standing charge structures for the two tariffs, as I said, IIRC the break-event point (with the sort of levels of usage I had) worked out as something between 34% and 35% night usage.

I'm in the pretty unusual situation that, even though I don't have storage heaters, I average about 40% night usage, so it's just about worthwhile to stick with E7 - but I'm so close that I keep the situation under fairly regular review!

Kind Regards, John

I think I found an answer!

Most of these "fan heaters" heat through convection, they create an air current, displacing cold air with warm air... the dewpoint inside of your room changes, and the cool air which falls to the ground, brings much of the moisture down there with it. Or it will condense on the walls or ceiling... anyplace where the air temp is cooler than the created heat.

So it puts the moisture on the floor :)

I think the answer here is to get underfloor heating to evaporate the water back into the air.

Also bear in mind I am down south, and we don't get the severe cold here, so up north the proportion of E7 units would be likely higher.

Being hard northerners we don't feel the cold so barely have the heating on at all ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back