Can I glue down a click system? + staggered joint question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have seen an oak E/B click system product (125mm Width x 1200mm Length) that I like. Rather than float the floor I would like to glue down. We have glued down T&G E/B downstairs and we like the solid feel under foot. However is there any reason why I can't glue down the click system? I am not bothered about the extra time or cost for the glue.

The flooring downstairs was random lengths (300mm - 1200mm) and this produces a nice effect with the staggered joints. Unfortunately the product I am currently interested in comes in fixed lengths (1.2m). I am worried that the resulting joint pattern won't look very good. Am I worrying about nothing? Could I use my pull down saw to create some random lengths or would this damage the 6-layer protective factory finish?

Perhaps someone knows of a similar priced product which comes in random lengths and looks the same. This is the one I like:

Here is the product: http://www.factory-direct-flooring....cquered-single-plank-click-flooring-701-p.asp

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can glue down a click-system, why wouldn't you?

As for fixed pattern: it is advisable to stagger the joints randomly, not in a fixed pattern.
The cut off of the last board in a row is used as first board in next row. Vary the length of the cut off when needed to prevent a recurring pattern of joints

Thanks for the quick reply.

In answer to your question the supplier on the phone said to me that the product needs to be able to move (expand/contract). However when I asked how come T&Q can be glued down if the edges are glued anyway? He didn't really have an answer. I think I'll glue them then...

Going back to staggering joints, please could you consider my question of using my pull down saw to create random lengths or is that a bad idea?

Also, is there anywhere on the web which explains (pref in diagram form!) of how best to stagger joints using fixed length planks. I can see a diagonal pattern forming if I'm not careful. Also I'm not great at "visualising" these things so a set of "rules" would really help me.

Thanks again.

Your supplier needs to fit some floors himself using various installation methods. Then he will know that not one installation method prevents the needed movement!

As for staggering the boards with fixed length, all good quality products have one or two boards in a pack already cut in half or 1/3 - 2/3 with T&G on 4 sides (which is the main reason for NOT cutting your long boards and installing the cut-offs in the middle of a row) to help you out.
Otherwise: as said before - make sure the start board of any row has a different length than the start boards of the neighbouring 3 - 4 rows - at least 30cm different than the start board of the last row you laid.
(start board 1 = 45 cm, start board 2 = 105cm, start board 3 = 70 cm, start board 4 = 30 cm, start board = 120cm = full length, start board 6 = 65cm etc etc etc, hope you get the 'picture')

This effectively will give you the staggered pattern you need to create a stable and eye-pleasing result.

Sponsored Links
i would be careful about gluing them down as with change of temp and moisture the boards tend to expand and contract , which is why the click boards are so popular , if you glue them and there is any movement the glue will prevent the boards from going back .into its origional position and you will end up with gapes on your joints
when you finish laying the first row use the cutting from that row to start at the other end and so on .that will give you a random looking joint

Sorry to disagree with the above. Modern adhesives are flexible - so never use bitumen like products - and will allow movement during the seasons without creating gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back