Can I go back to a previous use of a site

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a plot of land that was granted planning permission to be used as a car show room about five years ago. Last year I got planning permission for "change of use" to a car park. I would now like to again use the site for a car show room and remove the car park. Do I need planning permission again if the use of the site has been changed even if I had approval before the change happened. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you enact the latest permission?

If yes, you need to reapply, if no you don't and the previous use class prevails.

I commenced work for one of the requirements given in the permission, building guard rails around the site, but did not commence car park business operations on the site

That may not be significant enough to count as enacting the permission, but then again if railing the land off was enough to make it look like a car park then it may be enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, not really sure whether I should apply for planning permission again or not

If it's just the railings my guess is it would be insufficient to amount to implementation, particularly if it was a pre condition, but the full facts aren't there.

Maybe only an LDC application would clarify the position beyond doubt, especially if you want to market the site?

Blup

If the car showroom permission has expired you will need to reapply for permission for that use . Presumably a car showroom would involve a new building and I can't see how the planning department would consider you have 'started work on site' by just building guard rails , but why not just ask your local planning department .

Go and ask your local council, they will let you know what they will allow.

For a fee of course :)

Don't think they would charge for just asking if they consider guard rails as work has started on site. ( or ask first if they would charge for advising if they would consider guard rails as work has started on site ) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back