Can i apply for permission on land i dont own?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is some waste land i have my eye on that would be useful to park 3 cars. Its been for sale for a long time with no buyers and it has no existing permissions. Currently its just an area overgrown with small bushes.

Is it possible to apply for planning permission on land that you dont own? Id like to apply for permission to turn it into a car park and rent it out to people working in the area on a monthly basis but dont want to buy it without knowing that i can convert it to a carpark.

Sponsored Links
I believe you can but you would have to put the owner's name in the application and the council would be likely to inform the owner of the application. It would be published in the local paper and with a notice at the site so the owner would know about it.. Then the owner might think "this is a good idea" I can do that or he would increase the asking price.

Edit too slow typing

Sponsored Links
yep but as Bernard says he could just exercise the planning you applied for. Best to get a pre consult with the planners before thinking of purchase.

When you make a planning application you must either sign a certificate to say you are the sole owner of all the land or a certificate to say that notice of the application has been sent to the owner/s of the land. The usual process in your case is to make an offer subject to planning permission. This would be done under a legal contract which gives you the right to proceed if planning is approved or pull out if not.

Make an offer on the lsd and agree a price for land subject to planning. If you dont get it then you can withdraw from the deal and nothing lost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back