Can I hold 110 kg on plasterboard wall ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive seen snap toggles that claim upto 108kg on 12.5 mm thick plasterbord, so theoretically if I use 2 , plus a couple of extra smaller fixings that should be fine ?

Its a water heater Im trying to fix.
Ideally dont want to add wood as the fire risk assessor isnt keen on it.

The other idea I had was to just to bolt straight through the wall and use large washers, or a steel plate of some sort.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Errrrr no it's really not a good idea to hang such a massive weight off plasterboard alone regardless what these toggles claim , you are just asking for trouble

What wall do you have behind the plasterboard brick or stud?

Who is this fire assessor?

Thanks its a stud wall, what about the bolts straight through idea ?

Its a manchester company that did my fire risk assessment, recommended to remove wood panelling.
It also states in the water heater instructions that it should be mounted in an area with normal fire rating.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to remove plasterboard to install noggins to hold the heater, do you need to put more plasterboard back? Why not screw a bit of plyboard the size of the water heater onto the noggins, then you have an even more solid based to hang the heater. Or is wood not allowed?

If you're going to remove plasterboard to install noggins to hold the heater, do you need to put more plasterboard back? Why not screw a bit of plyboard the size of the water heater onto the noggins, then you have an even more solid based to hang the heater. Or is wood not allowed?

Fire risk assessor doesn't like it , as per the ops post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back