Can I install a new doorframe within an existing doorframe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an exceptionally large doorframe (2280 x 1040mm) which is hideously out of square (width difference of c 15mm between widest and narrowest points).

I'd like to order a new custom made frame/door combo but the question is whether I can fit this into the existing door frame without compromising strength and security. This is the external front door.

I'd need to place shims in the gaps to straighten everything up as if I was installing in a brick rough opening and then tidy up with some moulding of some description. If you think this is feasible, what sort of screws should I use to attach the new frame to the old frame with and what sort of spacing.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
anything is possible but aesthetically it may be VERY WRONG.
would you have to install cover fillets/architraves etc to make it work??
as for packing out your existing frame then aslong as the packing is secure then it should be fine.

on my mums house i had to change the front door (years ago)and was luckey enough to find a door the correct size in B&Q for £100.
every where else said it had to be specially made,as the size was 7' x 3'.

Sponsored Links
If you are ordering a custom frame/door then why not just have it made to fit the opening? You could have a a really thick frame with a normal door if that is your desire?

This is just against nature and should not be done,also the original frame sounds like its been in for some time so could have rot, wood worm old fixings that have dried out and rusted through and no damp course ,I can hear the chickens coming home.or in the words of the cockeny builder "thats pony mate"

have thought a bit more, the problem here is, it seems to be a door frame of two halves top and bottom my instinct would be to take out the bottom half of tho door frame. the top half which is a side window and frame combined depending on condition, looks like it should be left in and repaired if needed the rest is talking to your recommended local joinery shop for an european oak exterior door frame and door, I would go for quite heavy section to be in keeping with the rest of the structure and be strong enough to support a heavy door.the frame may have to have cheek pieces to make up for the missing frame stiles that's as much as I can say without being there.

It's not very clear from the picture (I had to pop outside to have a close look) but the right hand door jamb and left side of the left hand window frame is one continuous frame. If you look to the far right you can just make out the window frame. The bit I think you see as the window frame is the window itself, inset a bit. Structurally, save for the sill, all timber is sound.

I think I'm going to go for the frame within the frame, and paint up the same leaving the door alone oiled natural wood. I'm also planning to remove the top window: wouldn't quite look right.

Bit rough and ready, and I'd probably paint the new frame to match the old frame, but this is what I'm after:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back