Can I install a shower cubicle in a wetroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently moved into a 1930's terraced house. The house was dated so I've been busy upgrading it all. It was owned by an elderly lady who had a wet room installed 6 months before I bought it. The only downsides are a cheap looking shower curtain rail and heavy duty vinyl flooring. I can live with the flooring but the shower curtains do not stop water getting to the rest of the room and I'm fed up mopping every morning after a shower. Is it possible to fit just a shower enclosure without a tray?

Thanks

Attachments

• thumbnail_Shower Room.jpg
    thumbnail_Shower Room.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 318
Sponsored Links
Is it possible to fit just a shower enclosure without a tray?

Yes BUT the fixings to the floor may compromise the floor and create the potential for leaks. The leaks may take some time ( months ) to develop depending on how fleicible the floor is and how rigid the shower cubicle frame is. ( or the other way, rigid floor and flexible cubicle frame )

Using shower curtains that reach the floor and have weights in the bottom hem will significantly reduce the amount of water that "escapes" from the shower area. ( as in my cubicle free shower )

Ah sorry I hadn't posted before, I'll repost there so this one can be deleted if needed.

Also, thanks for the advice!

Sponsored Links
Yes BUT the fixings to the floor may compromise the floor and create the potential for leaks. The leaks may take some time ( months ) to develop depending on how fleicible the floor is and how rigid the shower cubicle frame is. ( or the other way, rigid floor and flexible cubicle frame )

Using shower curtains that reach the floor and have weights in the bottom hem will significantly reduce the amount of water that "escapes" from the shower area. ( as in my cubicle free shower )
Most require just a fixing into the wall and just silicone seal on the floor.

A decent curtain would be cheaper than a cubicle, unless you happen to have a cubicle in stock...

Don't quite understand the problem, is the waste outside the curtained-off area? If so, you could - maybe - move the shower apparatus to be nearer to it.

Post a picture, and show the direction the water goes. If the waste is inside the intended area, then the next question would be, will the water stay within the partitioned area.

Each cubicle partition will be installed differentlym but most will have a channel siliconed to the floor, and fixing to the wall. Some will then be fixed to the ceiling for support, and others to an adjoining panel, but none should compromise the integrity of the floor, if fitted properly.

Had similar issue for customer a few years back after they purchased house from a disabled lady.

What we did was level the floor with self levelling compound, tiled it then put in a bog standard shower tray and cubicle. The vinyl floor was a nightmare to get off so we only removed it where it came up the wall, using SDS drills chisel function, then used the same floor tiles to cut to about 5 inches to create "skirting".

Bit more work than you may want to undertake though

I never said I was awake Bernard; still half dead from a holiday. I suspect you're suggestion of a longer shower curtain (but without weights) might well be the best suggestion, as that size room would be crouded out by a screen, unless the shower can me mover to a corner.

In Finland, I came across a sqeegee on a broom handle that moved the water down to the outlet quickly, but in Denmark, a lot of the old flats with communal bathrooms were converted to self contained flats, and had a shower and hand basin installed in the toilets, and you effectively had to put the toilet roll away before you had a shower, so the OPs doing pretty well with his setup.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back