Pinkish staining on shower curtain from wetroom drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can advise me on this weird problem - well weird to me!

Can this staining be sewage vapor or is it from hard water?

There is some kind of substance coming from my shower/wetroom drain. I find that if I leave a shower brush hanging from the rail it slowly develops a pinkish colour - this is without using the brush. I purposely left it hanging there after finding this on another brush months ago. It also happens on the bottom of the shower curtain. As it is a wetroom the shower curtain trails on the floor a little.

What worries me is if it is residue/vapor of some kind from sewage/waste coming back up from the drain?

I moved into here, which is a new build bungalow, 3 years ago, so the wetroom is on the ground floor. There was a problem when I moved in with sewage coming up from toilet and the shower drain, when the toilet wash flushed. This was fixed but I was in shock to realise that this could happen. The fact that the drain is running almost level to the main sewage drain in the street. What I mean is if it was on an upstairs floor, the sewage drain would flow downwards and less of problem.

I am uploading some photos of the shower curtain after I took it down to wash and of the shower brush. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think I have found the answer already!
I had searched the internet last time it happened and found no answer!

But I should have searched again this time before I posted this as I have found another thread discussing it:
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/is-this-pink-mould.360538/#2726759

It seems it's "Serratia marcescens" and it loves damp environments, especially wetrooms with no windows!

I am happy about this as I was worried it was sewage vapour coming back from the drain.

So for anyone else that happens to be looking for the same thing, it's a bacteria that likes damp and shampoo/soap!

Need to give it a thorough clean every week.

Sponsored Links
you have water traps to prevent the sewage smells coming back through the drains

if a toiled sink or other drain is unused for a while the trap can dry out and allow the smell out
the simple solution is to run 500ml off water to fill the trap

so "sewage vapour" as you call it cannot escape in a fully functioning system ;)

Thanks for the information on the water trap. There was no smell unless I removed the trap. But I can see what you mean about if it's left to dry out.

What I called sewage vapour was meaning to be airborne bacteria coming from the drain, and I think could happen if the shower isn't used and the trap dries out like you said.

I will do as you suggested anyway - that is to run some water into the trap occasionally.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back