Drain gully advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am just looking for some advice regarding our outside drain gully.

The drain grid is about 1.5ft below ground level and the drain itself is about 2 ft deep which has a hole on the right side wall which leads towards the main sewage pipes (I have had my hand down there)

The drain collects waste from the kitchen, washing machine, upstairs bath and shower. It is also connected to the rain water pipes from the roof. The drain then flows to the main sewage line.

I have noticed when someone has a bath or shower the amount of water from either can make the drain fill up and the water will rise above the grate. It has not overflowed the hole yet though.
The water will then drain away fairly quickly back below the grid.

From what I can tell this doesn't happen when using just the taps or washing machines etc... only bath and shower (so a lot of water running though it)

Is this normal? Or is it blocked somewhere?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its blocked and when it gets above the grid it'll be soaking into the wall and ground around your foundations.
That gulley should have A4 inch pipe going away from it, so you would need a lot of showers to cause or to rise up.
I just put gloves on and got them in ours to pull all the fat and hair out, but you can get drain snakes to twizzle around in there if it's further away. Then flush out. There are also harsh chemicals you can use.
I'm sure people will be along to tell you to replace the gulley itself, as it will be crackers.

If it's an old clay one the water will probably be escaping between the pot and the hopper so you could be totally blocked.

It sounds a busy gully so could be built up with fat. First thing I would do is fill it and give it a good rodding with the right sized plunger, either 4 or 6", see if that gets it flowing.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Well in the end I called in the PROs (drains insurance)

It turns out the gully connects to soil stack and the whole thing was partially blocked somewhere.

The drain guy ended up getting his jet quite far into the system via the gully and eventually "whoosh", no more build up.... Hopefully it now stays that way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back