Can I install downlighters to a standard ceiling rose??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install downlighters into our spare bedroom.

It appears to me that essentially they are just a new fitting so theoretically I could remove the current one (standard white flex with bulb holder), draw the ceiling rose into the loft, then wire the new downlighters one to another from the live and neutral terminal on the rose.

I have no doubt that it will work fine, but will I be overloading the rose? Do I need to by a higher rated junction box instead? I plan to use 1mm2 2core cable??

Any advice would be gratefuly received!!

Many thanks
Drew

Sponsored Links
Ceiling roses are NOT designed to be anywhere but fitted on a ceiling.
You should use a junction box (5amp 4terminal) to join all the wires up.

Is (was) your plan to put the downlight where the old light was? If so you will probably be out of luck as pendant light fittings are usually mounted on a joist. Downlights need to be between joists.

Taylortwocities said:
Ceiling roses are NOT designed to be anywhere but fitted on a ceiling.
You should use a junction box (5amp 4terminal) to join all the wires up.

Is (was) your plan to put the downlight where the old light was? If so you will probably be out of luck as pendant light fittings are usually mounted on a joist. Downlights need to be between joists.

Thanks for the response.

No, I plan to put 6 or 7 in a various points in the ceiling. They are the small spot light type ones..

If I use a 5A 4T junction box, will it still allow things to function as they do now? The ceiling rose looks to be wired very differently to what a junction box would allow.....???

Sponsored Links
To allow for a number of downlights you may want to use a 20A 4-way terminal block. Depends on if u are using 240V or 12V downlights and if there is a transformer per light (if using 12v).

The ceiling rose effectively has 4 terminals
Live
Neutral
Switched live
Earth

you need to connect your term block up to conform to that and then connect your downlights between the neutral and swirched live. Do not forget that you must also connect the earth up and extend it to the end of your mains cable runs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back