Can I Isolate This Setup?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at my electrical setup, I want to know whether it is possible to isolate the electricity from the electrical meter box?

If not could I get advice on what I need to do or who to call to get an isolator fitted in the meter box

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
the company you pay for your electricity
Thank you.

So based on the pic,

1. I cannot isolate the electricity from the electrical meter box?

2. I need to call my electrical supplier and ask them to fit an isolator?

Is this typically free or a charge?

Also, is this something a qualified sparky could do?

Is this typically free or a charge?

Some will install free, some charge, some will do it free if in the course of other work, such as installing a smart meter.

In the later case - you could buy and fit a suitable isolator, just screwed in place, and ask them to wire it in when they do the meter swap.

Other than that - you would need the DNO to attend, at the same time as you electrician.

Sponsored Links
It was a requirement to fit an isolator, and there was a view that two wrongs make a right, so if they don't fit an isolator then draw the fuse to isolate, however this can be extremely dangerous, you can get ionisation of the atmosphere or in layman's terms a big bang.

Before the smart meter we could remove the fuse wearing appropriate PPE and often the seals were already missing so no one knew the wiser, but the smart meter is suppose to auto inform the DNO of a power cut, not sure if they really do that, but they should, so one can't remove the fuse as it would flag up as a power cut.

So now the DNO have to connect up any isolator, if one is fitted ready they will connect it when other work is done, and it is really required to have an isolator outside of the consumer unit as HSE instructions are before working on a panel the supply must be isolated else where, so the isolator built into the CU can not be used to isolate it to work on it. It can however ensure no current is flowing when the fuse is drawn. But this will not work in your case as the supply is split, so one may need two isolators.

When I had my smart meter fitted last year, I asked for an isolator to be fitted as well.
The guy was happy to do it for free, but wouldn't have done so if I hadn't asked.

Which is what I did. Plenty of space on the meter back board, in the cabinet, so I just bought a suitable isolator, and screwed it into place ready for him to connect up.

Some will install free, some charge, some will do it free if in the course of other work, such as installing a smart meter.
In the later case - you could buy and fit a suitable isolator, just screwed in place, and ask them to wire it in when they do the meter swap.
When I last had my ('dumb') meter replaced, I had asked for an isolator to be fitted at the same time. I happened to have a brand new ('boxed') Wylex 3P+N isolator sitting on my shelf, so offered it to the guy, but he refused to use it, saying that he was only 'allowed' to use the (identical) one that he had ibn his van.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back