CU and isolator box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am to replace the fusebox in my home with a modern CU and need to isolate the fusebox from the main electricity supply.

However, the only isolator between the CU and the mains is what seems to be a ceramic "fuse" located inside a box between the electricity meter and the mains. (see white item in the picture)

The local REC is not helpful and my plan is to switch off all equipments in the house, pull the white fuse in the isolator box (see figure) and keep the box closed while the CU is being replaced. Any advice/suggestion? Is this
the way it should be done?

The actual replacement will be done by a qualified electrician who's never worked in the UK and who will visit us next month from overseas. I sent him the picture of the isolator, but told he has never seen anything like that.

Acchillo

Pic6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Er... good luck with all of that.

(I don't know where to start with the 'don't do this at home' advice)

Well, this is not DIY, as I will not get close to all this.

I just need to know if the way to isolate the mains is by pulling the white fue in the picture (I am reattaching it). Apparently overseas isolators are different.

Pic6.jpg

Acchillo said:
I just need to know if the way to isolate the mains is by pulling the white fue in the picture

Well, yes, that's how you isolate the supply, but I have to tell you that those main fuses have been obsolete for many years now. Call the DNO (District Network Operator) - the people who 'own' the distribution kit, including your main fuse - and tell them that you urgently need a fuse and/or earth upgrade.

If you must pull the fuse, please make sure you switch off all circuits via the main switch on your CU beforehand.

If you still have a porcelain rewireable fuse there's a good chance that you have all sorts of other issues with your wiring. Examples are:
Inadequate main earth conductor
Inadequate (or even a total lack of) main equipotential bonding
No supplementary bonding
No earths on lighting circuit/s
Inadequately sized circuit protective conductor on power circuits
Rubber insulated cable

Please call in a UK-qualified electrician to inspect before you even think of allowing your friend to tackle it. Qualified he may be, but if he's never worked in the UK, how do you know he will have the first clue about our wiring regulations?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the comments. V. useful.

I did try to call my electricity company asking for an isolator a while ago and talked to lots of people. Some of the people could not understand what an isolator exactly was (and why it is needed in a property) and the rest could not figure out which department is responsible for installing one. I gave up when I ended up in a dead end.

I will call them /write to them again and tell them that I have been told that my earth bonding and service fuse are obsolete and need replacing. Any advice on best way to put this across would be great.

In the meantime, can anyone give me some expert comments on the ceramic service fuse I currently have. Hopefully the attached picture is visible this time.
pic6.jpg
[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back