CU replacement and seal break

Hi SS, shedsssss did say he'd provided the new unit.

But a CU change is not a minor work, shedssss...s. You should have had a full periodic inspection and test, which would take at least two hours on a domestic, provided nothing is inaccessible. Certainly nothing less than a full Electrical Installation Certificate is valid for a job like this.

Having said that, it doesn't mean your installation is unsafe, just that you have nothing to prove it is. For example, on the job I was doing today the old fusebox looked fine, but the loop test I did on the light circuit showed that the protective conductor was not continuous and therefore ineffective. Also, the main bonding to the water supply, although present at both the fusebox and the stopcock, did not actually complete the journey - a length had been cut out by persons unknown, for reasons equally mysterious. An unusual occurrence but it does illustrate how a visual inspection is not enough.

Sponsored Links
i dont care if im stepping on peoples toes here but quite frankly i think you either got done by a *****....wait...even they would charge enough to cover petrol.
do you know him as a mate of something?
where are you from?
i could keep going north but i doubt the rates would fall that low....

let me put it like this;
your either/you have been;
1)completly and utterly DONE OVER
2)the guy has maths problems
3)you have maths problems
4)he dident have a clue and actuly just stuck em all in the main switch
5)you should have gone to specsavers because it was an extra 0 on the end of that number.

i also doubt that he changed a whole house consumers unit in 1 and half hours 'including bacon butties' and tests
unless you have 1 circuit in your house...

following on from that, it can not be right i for one like to enjoy a bacon buttie, and take at least 20 mins eating it with coffee on the side, something MUST be wrong, spratt to catch a makeral perhaps?

Coffee with a BB?

You unspeakable heathen!

It should be tea.

Or champagne if you're not working, and it's not too early, or you've been up all night. But I digress.

Coffee indeed. You're not some Johnny Foreigner are you?

Sponsored Links
supersparks said:
i dont care if im stepping on peoples toes here but quite frankly i think you either got done by a *****....wait...even they would charge enough to cover petrol.
do you know him as a mate of something?
where are you from?
i could keep going north but i doubt the rates would fall that low....

let me put it like this;
your either/you have been;
1)completly and utterly DONE OVER
2)the guy has maths problems
3)you have maths problems
4)he dident have a clue and actuly just stuck em all in the main switch
5)you should have gone to specsavers because it was an extra 0 on the end of that number.

i also doubt that he changed a whole house consumers unit in 1 and half hours 'including bacon butties' and tests
unless you have 1 circuit in your house...
u really ought to grow up.

1. i don't believe i was "done over"
2. no the maths were fine
3. see above
4. again wrong
5. see my previous post

circuits = 5
upstairs ring
downstairs ring
boiler
lights
alarm

there was a cooker circuit but i previously removed it to make way for an expansion (didnt know what at the time). ended up wanting to add power to an external building and decided to swap thw cu out prior to doing this

spark arrived at 9:30 and left shortly before 11am.

£23 labour x 1.5
£2 travel (local company, never used em previously and i got the number from the NIC website)

ok, and where are you?

to be honest, if thats true then there must be a downside.
that realy is too good to be true- well sounds it, hence my disbelief...

its kind of comparable to going into your local car show room to find a brand new ferrari spider, for a grand...
if its all good then fine, bargin of ya life, but by comparrision will you find you have actuly find it was a cardboard cutout....?

no downside i can c, as for location i'm lancs / manchester way.

i can understand ur disblief i don't agree with how ur expressing it tho. it honestly was that simple and a decent price. and while i'm not a spark (computers by trade 11yrs & counting, i also dable in electrics, cctv and alarms) i'm very happy with the quality of the work carried out. in a few months i'll get the company back to do a full nic inspection / report once i finished doing the work i'm doing to the external building and garden electrics.

can we have a piccy of outside and inside the unit when you add your circuits?
a cu change would normally take the good par of 4 hours including tests...

ahh, thats why, that is whats commonly known as rats nest wiring, not unsafe but far from good quality(though you get what you pay for! ;) )
this took just under 3 hours including tests and is what id call a rush job...
(also included finding a lighting fault-about 15 mins)
cu.bmp

No offence Dingbat, but how can you question SS,, after all you clearly don't know what your talking about

You Don't use a loop tester to verify earthing connections, this is dangerous and could cause harm to someone, and you would have a Installation Certificate, and NOT a PIR for a CU change, surely you know this !

The MK board's modules are leaning like the tower. Why is the bottom of the casing distorted?

SS Whose board are you using there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back