Confused about cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fairly new to this DIY Game.

Replacing a stand alone electric oven with an electric hob and single oven.

The fuse at the consumer unit is 32A.

The consumer unit is linked to a terminal outlet box, on a radial circuit, with 6mm wiring. Between the terminal outlet box and the consumer unit is a control unit with a built in socket. The control unit is about a metre from the terminal outlet box.

The hob to be fitted has a power rating of 6.2kw.
The single oven has a power rating of 2.25kw. It has come with a cable and 13A fused plug.

Can I just connect the hob to the terminal outlet box, with 6mm cable, and connect the oven cable to the same terminal outlet box?

Should I replace the control unit for one without a socket?

Do I need to install additional fuses for the hob and oven?

Does diversity apply to cookers and hobs?

Girlfriend is worried I am going to burn her flat down! :cry:

Sponsored Links
can't you just plug the oven into the ring main, 2.25kw is more than low enough to do this with (anything below 3kw can be plugged in)

Sounds simple, but have already positioned the fused spur sockets. Could put a double socket in place of a single socket but the fuse boxes are only rated to 13A. The fuse in the fridge plug is 13A!!

As a novice, the first thing you ought to know is that a fuse protects the wiring that lies beyond it. This means that a fuse must be SMALL enough for whatever it feeds, not BIG enough. Once you grasp this concept lots of things will make sense.

You have a 32 amp breaker in the consumer unit. This is adequate - that means SMALL enough - for the 6mm cable that lies beyond. If you take the plug off your oven cable and connect straight into the hob outlet you will be connecting 13 amp cable to a 32 amp breaker. This is a BAD IDEA. Your girlfriend will have many sleepless nights if she understands wiring.

You MUST put a 13 amp fuse somewhere upstream of the oven cable. This can be in a plug or in a fused connection unit (FCU). It's perfectly safe to connect an FCU to the hob outlet (with 6mm cable) but I wouldn't recommend it. The problem is that you already have a socket on there. If you plug a kettle into that socket and use the oven at the same time you aren't leaving many amps for the hob. There will be many trips of the breaker - and many trips under the stairs to reset it!

You appear to have three choices:

a) Plug your oven into the cooker control unit.
b) Plug it into a socket on your ring main.
c) Add an FCU to your ring main and connect the oven to that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back