Wiring electric hobs, cooker hood and boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got two questions and advice would be much appreciated:

1. I’m installing electric hobs in the kitchen and was wondering if the process is similar to installing an electric oven?
Run a 6mm radial circuit from the consumer unit to the control unit.
Run a cable from the control unit to the terminal outlet box.
Connect the cable from the terminal outlet box to the hobs.
I was wondering if I could skip the outlet box and run the cable straight from the control unit to the appliance?

2. How to supply electricity to the gas boiler for the central heating and the cooker hood?
Can I run a spurs from the socket ring in the kitchen to them? Would I also need a fused connection unit?

Sponsored Links
I got two questions and advice would be much appreciated:

1. I’m installing electric hobs in the kitchen and was wondering if the process is similar to installing an electric oven?
Run a 6mm radial circuit from the consumer unit to the control unit.
Run a cable from the control unit to the terminal outlet box.
Connect the cable from the terminal outlet box to the hobs.
I was wondering if I could skip the outlet box and run the cable straight from the control unit to the appliance?
Ideally read the manufacturers instruction, which will advise on output ratings and the size of the protective device, then you can calculate the cable size required, taking any de-rating factors into consideration with regards to the cable route and method installed.
2. How to supply electricity to the gas boiler for the central heating and the cooker hood?
Can I run a spurs from the socket ring in the kitchen to them? Would I also need a fused connection unit?
You can spur from socket outlets, but if a ring final circuit you cannot spur from a spur.
Both ex-fan and boiler will require a fuse connection unit, the fuse would need to sized suitably for the demand of the load and the flex/cable being used, generally a 3A fuse would be used on both

Please note any new circuit require notification to building controls, it is highly likely that RCD protection for any buried cable and new sockets will be required.
Also it is very important that circuits are inspected, tested and certified prior to being put into service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back