Isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does a electric meter which you have to 'top up' have an isolator on it to stop supply from it to the CU? Or would an isolator need to be fitted by DNO?

Sponsored Links
It probablly depends on the age, some modern ones probablly do older ones probablly don't.

some people just let the credit run down and then do it but personally i wouldn't trust those contacts to be suitable for safety isolation, i'd much preffer to have the fuse out.

Got a job doing re-wire, doing thro building control while DI assesment gets done. Wanted to save the expense of having an isolator fitted, it cost £76 last time!

Sponsored Links
Add £76 to your quote, or do as most do....

Search for posts re cutting seals.

It is common in our area to pull fuse, connect new tails to old with henle blocks.

Send in Connection Cert to WPD by fax. Pay the fee* when the bill arrives, or get it sent to house holder ;)

* £18 for earthing only, £25 for tails and earthing - I recall. (WPD pricing).

Isolators are an extra item to wrong, take up space, and will never be used until the CU needs changing again - whats the point?

Dunno, ask your lot.

The official line is that you must not remove, but our DNO make it obviously clear they would prefer us to remove and then inform them. They know most companies anyway.

You will have likely had the tails installed, and fuses sealed by the time you get an inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back