CAN I LAG BOTH CENTRAL HEATING PIPES TOGETHER IN THE LOFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating installed recently. Pipes go from airing cupboard combi boiler directly up into loft, and then along 8 metres or so and down through ceiling into first bedroom etc etc. Copper pipes from boiler up into loft, and then plastic pipes running along floor of loft, on top of loft insulation until they join on to copper pipes again just before the pipes go back down into bedroom.
I have one query. Where the plastic pipe joins onto the copper pipe to go down into the bedroom, there is a right angle plastic joint which joints the plastic onto the copper pipe. At this point there is not much room, as it is right at the edge of the loft, near the eaves, as the pipes go down right in the corner of the bedroom wall. I have to really stretch, flat on my stomach to reach that part. As it is near the eaves etc I wanted to make sure it is lagged ok, as it is nearest the cold air etc.
I have managed to lag the rest of the pipe lengths, but due to the narrow space its very difficult to get to the right angle join. I managed to get a bit of foam lagging onto the pipes, either side of the join, and have used spiral wrap to cover the plastic right angle joint as the foam lagging wont go over that part as the right angle bend/joint is too thick. I gave it a couple of thicknesses of spiral wrap.
As the two pipes, (and the right angle bends/joints), are right next to each other and only a couple of inches apart, if that, it was easier to put the spiral wrap around both pipes/bends together at once, rather than lag those parts individually. I have only lagged the two pipes together at this one part, and rest of pipes lagged individually, albeit they run along loft floor right next to each other.
I just wanted to check that lagging both pipes together for that short distance would be ok? I assume one pipe is the outflow from boiler (hot water) and the other is cooler water returning?
Many thanks
Bax

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back