Lagging pipes in loft and house - some advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm sorting out the loft in a house I've moved into and the next job is to lag the naked pipes. There's a mixture of 15mm and 22mm.

1. What's the best foam product to use. Some day thick grey stuff is fine, others say to use Armaflex / Tuflex, and that even those won't stop a freeze in the extreme cold (at which times they say you should leave your loft hatch open to prevent freezing)? So firstly, what to buy?

2. If a pipe is clipped to a joist and will be covered by the loft insulation, should I still lag it?

3. Some pipes are clipped to the rafters or are clipped to vertical timbers. How can I insulate them?

4. We've got several outside taps, do I need to insulate the the small amounts of external pipework?

5. Pipes around the house, underfloor boards (some are accessible), not boxed in, etc. Is it a good idea to lag these where possible from an energy saving point of view? I've read that it is, but then I also think they give off heat. So that one's always confused me!

We are in rural Wales and I just want to make sure I get it right first time, so any advice most appreciated. I've also just been reading about trace heaters... Overkill or good idea?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Leaving loft hatch open seems just dumb.Never had a free related leak with insulated pipes .
Lag anything you can reach , under floor space does not need heat and should have good ventilation which will cool any exposed pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back