Can I lay new turf at this time of year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We've had building work done at the back of the house and the grass is now non existant in places, we also need to add new grass. Can we turf if we get a dry day? I don't want any new turf to dry out so I don't want to leave it too near to the warmer weather.

Sponsored Links
You can turf it but it probably wont grow, which means no root growth, so it may just rot away. It may be ok if you cover it so as to build up some heat.

as long as you prepare the ground and use a decent fresh cut turf, not the crap from q&b it should take fine. It is less likely to suffer from foot traffic and drying out at this time of year and so will have more of a chance to establish. Make sure that there is no frost present in the ground when you lay it as it will remain under the turf and kill it off.

Okay, so it might not be the ideal time. We don't want the turf to dry out if we lay it too near the summer, but we not in a desperate rush, although we would like the new turf to be laid by the summer time. So would it be better to wait till March or April perhaps?

Sponsored Links
march is fine. But ive laid umpteen lawns on landscaping jobs over the past few months and they are all quite happy, rooting and even growing. Having said that we are on the south coast where it is a little warmer.

Of course if you happen to leave it till the warmer months you can water it to stop it drying out, infact, if you lay it now it will still need a bit of watering in the summer if the weather is realy hot and dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back