Can I loop off existing external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an external light on side of house that is controlled from a 3 gang switch inside the kitchen, the other 2 switches control the kitchen lights.
I would like to add a 2nd floodlight (probably a 120w halogen lamp)on back of house. Can I take a loop from the terminals on the existing external light with a length of cable around to the new lamp so they both illuminate from the switch in the kitchen??

Sponsored Links
You can extend from the existing light fitting, it's unlikely that you can extend directly from the switch as it more than possible that a neutral will not be available there, but you can loop the neutral and live from the existing light which will mean using the same switch to turn both lights on/off.
It is possible that you could have the second light independently but that configuration would depend on the existing set up.

(probably a 120w halogen lamp)
shake%20head.gif
shake%20head.gif

2 "Nos":

1) A halogen light > 100W

2) A halogen light of any size not on a PIR or photocell.

Sponsored Links
Working off the same switch is fine as we want both lights to come on with the switch rather than PIR

I presume 1mm 3core cable will do the job for the loop??

Does the wattage of the new lamp need consideration?

Working off the same switch is fine as we want both lights to come on with the switch rather than PIR
It is not fine from a Building Regulations POV.

Does the wattage of the new lamp need consideration?
Yes, from a Building Regulations POV.

I thought the cut off point was 150W for outside lights and special controls/efficiency.

Ok thats quite strict for a light to see the garden. Dont worry I'll try to suss it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back